St. Paul’s Lutheran and United Church of Christ, commonly known as “Red Run Church” was originally known as Sowers Church. It dates back to July 4, 1843, when George Sours, Sr. and his wife Elizabeth, conveyed by deed to George Sours, Jr., John Smith, and John Shive a tract of land for the erection of a house of worship, named it St. Paul’s Church, and was dedicated on October 5, 1844.
The need for more space and facilities brought five additions to St. Paul’s Church:
1912 a Narthex;
1927 Nave addition and Sunday School rooms;
1953 Sunday School rooms;
1961 Nave addition and Sunday School space;
1996 Handicapped accessible entrance, elevator and restrooms, and Pastor’s conference room.
Many factors over the years brought the members to a “oneness” concept. After a long and arduous task by a joint study committee, the Union Church, St. Paul’s Lutheran and United Church of Christ by a vote of the members was dissolved on January 1, 1986, to become St.
Paul’s Red Run United Church of Christ.
After much thought and prayer, the decision was made to leave the United Church of Christ and operate an independent congregation to become St. Paul’s Red Run Church. A vote was taken by the congregation on April 9, 2017, and notice was sent to the Central Pennsylvania Association of the United Church of Christ acknowledging same.
The first service with the new St. Paul’s (Run Run) Church was Easter Sunday, April 16, 2017, with Interim Pastor Dan Dellosso.
Pastor Zachariah Galemore became our pastor on Sunday, January 6, 2019.
Pastor Zach Stec joined December 2021.